Warning: Removing a field, modifying its data type, or toggling the “Multiple” attribute may result in data loss. Check out our article on Content Type Change Management that discusses the various types of changes you can possibly make to a content type schema, and the guidelines that you need to follow to make such changes safely.
To edit a content type, log in to your Contentstack account, and perform the following steps:
- Go to your stack, click on the Content tab (if it is not open), and hover over the content type you want to edit.
- Click on the “More Options” icon (three vertical dots) that appears at the extreme right end, and select Edit Content Type.
- The Content Type Builder page opens up where you can make the required changes to your content type schema as follows:
- Add fields by clicking and dragging them from the FIELDS section or remove them.
- Edit the properties of an existing field by clicking on that specific field, and making the necessary changes in the Edit Properties section.
- Change the properties of a content type by clicking on the “Edit” (pencil) icon located beside the name of the content type to open the Edit Content Type form. Here, you can update the content type’s primary details, such as make it either Webpage or Content Block (or vice versa), change its name, make it Single or Multiple, or change its description.
Additional Resource: To set a content type as either “Single” or “Multiple,” we recommend you to learn the difference between Single and Multiple content type.
- After making the necessary changes, click either Save or Save and Close to save your changes.
Let’s edit the News Articles content type we created in the earlier step, and add some text to its description.
Here are the links to the API requests related to this action: