Once created, you can edit a content type to make changes such as add/remove/edit a field or its properties.
Warning: Removing a field, modifying its data type, or toggling the “Multiple” attribute may result in data loss. Check out our article on Content Type Change Management that discusses the various types of changes you can possibly make to a content type schema, and the guidelines that you need to follow to make such changes safely.
To edit a content type, log in to your Contentstack account, and perform the following steps:
- Go to your stack, click on the “Content Models” icon on the left navigation panel.
- Select the content type you want to edit.
- The Content Type Builder page opens up where you can make the required changes to your content type schema as follows:
- Add fields by clicking them from the FIELDS section or removing them.
- Edit the properties of an existing field by clicking on the "Settings" gear icon of the specific field, and making the necessary changes in the Edit Properties section.
- Change the properties of a content type by clicking on the “Edit” (pencil) icon located beside the name of the content type to open the Edit Content Type form. Here, you can update the content type’s primary details, such as make it either Webpage or Content Block (or vice versa), change its name, make it Single or Multiple, or change its description.