Once created, you can edit a Global field at any time without restrictions. However, note that removing a field, modifying its data type, or toggling the “multiple” attribute may result in data loss.
Additional Resources: If you have created (and published) entries using a Global field within a content type, making changes to the Global field's schema may result in data loss of existing entries. Refer to the content type change management section to learn how to safely make changes to the content type schema without losing any data or impacting the content of your live site or app.
To edit a Global field, log in to your Contentstack account, and perform the following steps:
- Go to your stack, open the CONTENT tab (if it is not open), and click on Global Fields.
- Hover over the Global field that you want to edit, click on the “More Options” icon (three vertical dots) that appears at the extreme right end, and select the Edit Global Field option.
- Make necessary changes to the Global field schema.
- To edit the name and description of the Global field, click on the “Edit” (Pencil) icon beside the name of the Global field.
- Click on either Save or Save and Close.
Warning: If you change the UID of an existing Global field or mark the field as Multiple, the data of that field in all existing entries will be lost.
To edit a Global field via API, refer to the Update a Global field API request.