If you have the required permissions, you can add languages to your stack to create and publish entries in multiple languages.
Note: When working within specific branches, languages added will be available only in that particular branch.
For example, you are working within the development branch, and you add new languages such as German and Chinese to this branch. These languages will be available only within the development branch.
Refer to our Branch-specific Modules document for more information.
You can either add a language from our list of supported languages or create a custom language of your choice.
To add a language, log in to your Contentstack account, and perform the following steps:
- Go to your stack, click the “Settings” icon (press “S”) on the left navigation panel, and select Languages (or press “alt + L” for Windows OS users, and “option + L” for Mac OS). You will see the default master language along with other added language(s).
Note: Apart from the master language, you can add/remove the other languages.
- Click on the + New Language button located at the top-right corner of the page. The Add Language box opens up, which lets you select from the existing supported language(s) or add a custom language.
- Keep the Add Supported Language option selected to add any one of the existing supported languages. To create and add a custom language of your choice, select the Create Custom Language option.
- To add a supported language, select the required language from the list of available languages in the Select Language menu. The selected language’s code will appear.
Note: The combination of language code and locale or country code should be unique across the stack.
- Conversely, to add a custom language, enter the language name and code as per your choice.
Note: The minimum character length of a language code is 2, and the maximum character length is 12.
- In the Select Fallback Language menu, select the fallback language for the newly added language.
- Click on Add.
Note: Once generated, you cannot modify a custom language code.
To add a language in your stack via API request, refer to Add a language API request.
After adding the language in the stack, the content manager can add an entry in the specified language or create localized entries.
Note: The Content Manager can view or create content in multiple languages only for the languages that are added to the stack by the Admin/Developer.