Publish an Entry
Once you create an entry, you can publish it to one of the available publishing environments.
Additional Resource: To understand more about publishing, read our guide on how to Publish Assets.
To publish an entry, log in to your Contentstack account, and perform the steps given below:
- Go to your stack, and click on the “Entries” icon on the left navigation panel. You can also use the shortcut key “E”(for both Windows OS and Mac OS users) to access entries.
- Open the entry you want to publish, and click on the Publish button at the bottom of the page.
- In the Publish Entry modal, under Select Environment(s) and Select Language(s), select the environment(s) and the locale(s) to which you want to publish the entry.
Note: At any time, you can select only 50 environments and 50 languages to publish a single entry. However, for publishing localized entries, the limits differ.
Warning: When you publish the master language entry, the unlocalized/localized versions of that entry will not be published automatically. You need to manually publish the unlocalized/localized entry versions, if required.
- Under Publish, you have two sub-options – Now (to publish immediately) and Later (to publish at a later date/time that you provide).
When you select “Later”, a group of options appear asking you to select the Date and Time of publishing, and the Time-Zone.
Note: The publishing date cannot extend beyond 12 months when scheduling an entry publish.If you select a time zone that follows daylight saving time (DST), you will see a help text at the bottom of the dialog that highlights the effective publishing date, time, and timezone. When set, Contentstack will automatically publish the content at the specified time along with DST adjustments.
Note: The DST time difference is one hour.
- Confirm your settings by clicking the Send button.
Alternatively, you can also publish an entry from the list page. To do so, perform the steps given below:
- On the entries list page, locate the entry you want to publish and click the “ellipsis” (three dots) in the Actions column.
From the dropdown menu that appears, select the Publish option.
- Select the environment(s) and locale(s) under Select Environment(s) and Select Language(s).
- Under Publish, select either Now (publish immediately) or Later (at a later date/time that you provide).
- Confirm your action by clicking on Send.
Tip: You can also publish entries in bulk.
Publish referenced entries
When publishing an entry, if there are any unpublished (draft) entries or assets referred within the entry, an alert message will be displayed that will list out all the unpublished entries and assets.
You can choose to publish the entry with or without publishing all the referred entries/assets.
It is recommended that you always publish the entry along with its references. If you publish the entry without publishing the references, the referred items will not be displayed in the published entry on the specified environment.
Publish Entries with Nested References
Note: Nested Reference Publishing is a plan-based feature. Please contact your organization administrator for more details.
You can publish an entry or a group of entries along with all their nested referenced entries and/or assets. The reference view gives a quick outline of all the levels of referred items.
To publish an entry along with its nested references, log in to your Contentstack account, and perform the steps given below:
- Go to your stack, and click the “Entries” icon on the left navigation panel.
- Open the entry you want to publish, and click the Publish button at the bottom of the page.
- In the Publish Entry modal, under Select Environment(s) and Select Language(s), select the environment(s) and the languages(s) to which you want to publish the entry and click Send.
Note: At a time, you can select a maximum of 50 environments and locales to which you want to publish content.
You can either publish the content immediately or choose to schedule your publishing tasks with Nested Reference Publishing.
- The Publish Reference(s) modal showing all the nested references for the entry will open up. You can modify a child entry by clicking the "Edit entry in new tab" icon.
In case you see a warning symbol beside an entry/asset, hover over it to read the warning messages that highlight if any of the child entries may fail to publish.
Note: Only the latest version of each selected nested reference item will be sent for publishing.
- Click Send With References to send the entry along with all its nested references for publishing.
Note: At a time only up to 5 levels of nested references can be published.
Additional Resource: Refer to the Bulk Publish Entries with Nested References document to know how to bulk-publish multiple entries along with their nested referenced items.
Note: It is recommended that you always publish the entry along with its references. If you publish the entry without publishing the references, the referred items won't be displayed on the corresponding webpages.
To publish an entry via API, refer to the Publish an entry API request.